New councils created in 2016
The 20 new councils created in 2016 will have their elections on 9 September 2017. Prior to this they will:
- continue to be run by an Administrator and an interim General Manager until council elections are held in 2017
- continue to provide services such as community development programs; assessing development applications; collecting rubbish and recycling; and processing rates, fees and other charges
- run the same community facilities, including libraries, seniors centres and swimming pools
- operate under the same local planning regulations as former areas – for example, where a former council’s local environment plan restricted certain development types, this will continue
- continue valued community engagement
- continue to hold public council and committee meetings and be represented at civic and community events
- consult about priority projects for the Stronger Communities Fund
- deliver substantial savings and benefits to local communities for many years to come
- be better placed to deliver the vital infrastructure that growing communities need.
Implementation of new councils is being supported by Local Representation Committees, formed by the Administrator for each of the former council areas, to provide advice on local views and issues.
New councils will run a local community grants program from funding provided by the NSW Government. Local community groups will be able to apply for community grants of up to $50,000 to invest in community infrastructure and services that build more vibrant, sustainable and inclusive local communities. Projects may include upgrades of club facilities, funding of sporting equipment or providing tools and equipment to enable improved delivery of community services.
Check your council’s website for regular updates on the progress of your new council.
Any new council created in 2017 will operate in the same way as those councils created in 2016 and where possible the NSW Government will be seeking to have the elections for these new councils to be held by the end of 2017.